Tuesday 14 May 2013

Living with Mental Health | Depression


I became depressed in late 2011, when my family moved back to the country of my heart. But my gran says my voice hadn’t been right since mid 2008 when we moved back to the country of my birth. My voice came right again on the 25th July 2012.

I never knew how much I relied on my family, and I never would have believed that the place you live could have such an effect on your mental state. I would have always told you that friends were important, but I would never have thought I could have neglected my friends so much.

My experience with depression… I thought I was ok, I was in denial for the best part of 6 months. But I cut myself off from the rest of the world. I obsessed over course work, it made it look like I was a model student, despite my less than perfect attendance at lectures. While inside everything was coming apart. I was self harming, I pulled my hair out and punched myself. I over analysed everything and worried constantly about my family who were living so very far away. I ate, far too much, and exercised far too little. I was very lucky for most of the time to have a gorgeous, loving boyfriend. But, sadly, about a year ago, he broke up with me. And my depression was cited as a reason for the break up. I was cut to the core. And I spent a terrible 3 hours alone, but surrounded by people on public transport. I don’t want you to judge him though. He also has his own cross to bear. He was there with me through my darkest hours. You may say if he truly was there for me he wouldn’t have dumped me. But I am grateful for the times when he held me up and enabled me to get through the day. It was after he dumped me that I started to scratch myself. My wrists and my ankles, my wrists because they were accessible, and annoy me anyway because of an old injury to them. My ankles, because I could hide what I was doing. It was my coping mechanism. I was, then, punishing myself for not being good enough to cope without my family, and for not being good enough for the man I loved.

I made the best decision possible, I started counselling, it took me several months after I had been diagnosed and started the meds (because despite the diagnosis, I didn’t want anything to be wrong with me, I really REALLY wanted to be ok). It helped me to see that I had managed to distort the world around me, which getting less than an A was ok, sure the injuries to my wrists suck, but at least I can still use them for every day life! I did cope without my family, and I was strong enough to try and protect them, succeeding for a very long time. And I was good enough for him, but things just didn’t work out.

The next big decision I made was to move back to the country of my heart and live near my family again. That was when my gran told me my voice belonged to me again.

And I’m back with my family, back in the country of my heart. Once I made the decision it took me a month. And the university I transferred to was only too happy to gain me as a student (not that I would blow my own trumpet, but I am a good student). I feel like my life has started again because I’m enjoying it. I have friends who I talk to almost every day when they can stand it, because I often act a little crazy.
Looking back, one thing really stands out, and that is the support I was given by my friends and family once I owned that I had a problem. The way, despite walling myself up, they welcomed me back and looked after me.

This week I had my last check up for a recent episode of anxiety, and I am very glad to say that I’ve been given a clean bill of mental health for the time being (and a flu jab, ouch!). I can see how far I have come, in just 12 months, despite my last little hiccup. I have lost 20 of the 28 kilos I put on due to comfort eating. My cooking skills have also excelled ;).  When I’m very stressed I have to admit that my fingers to immediately go to my hair, but I have some good friends who look out for me and will take me for a cup of tea if they notice I’m not coping too well (like if my experiments are going very pear shaped). I’m a lot happier, and my life sometimes surprising me at how interesting it ends up being. I’ve found gardening and sewing rather relaxing, and found that the small achievements I made in both have helped when I’ve been having a bad day.

Today its 2013 and I am a happy, strong, beautiful young woman. And I am helping someone else, a friend of my brothers, cope with her depression. What others think of me doesn’t matter because I am unique, a little bit mad maybe, but I’ve found people who appreciate and accept me. I wouldn’t be where I am today without the support of some lovely friends, most of whom are a long haul flight away, but another who now only lives 20 minutes up the road, between me and university. She means the world to me, and I can never repay the debt I owe. Nor can I repay the debt to my other friends who loved me when I was entirely un-loveable. I’ve also created a strong support network with the new friends I have found.

If you know someone with a mental health problem all I can say is keep loving them. If their hurts were visible, they would probably be swaddled in bandages, they might be in hospital, but they are defying the odds. If you do have a mental health problem, remember what a beautiful person you are (inside as well as out). Tell someone if you are having a bad day, because they care and will want to help. And if you feel like staying in bed all day doing nothing, go ahead and do it! But the next day you need to get yourself up, I know its really hard. Celebrate every little achievement. There was a time when just getting up was an achievement for me. It was an achievement when I first managed to sleep all the way through the night for 8 hours. I spoilt myself with a new hair cut when I realised my hair was growing back out. And every time I find a new dress that fits, I dress myself up and believe the compliments people give me (which are a lot now I listen to them). Don’t forget that there are free call support numbers if you need someone to talk to but feel a friend or family member isn’t the right person. Anything you say is confidential. I know some people who volunteer for these services and I’ve used them. They are some of the most open minded, comforting people to talk to.

Remember: ‘We are all a little broken, and that’s ok’.

Also, did you know, blind people smile, despite never having seen one, it’s a natural human reaction. Its time for me to sign off though, my uni assignments are calling me... Thanks for reading this, I hope it has inspired you that you can get through and to help anyone you think may be struggling, sometimes a smile is all it takes. 


Anonymous

No comments:

Post a Comment