Wednesday 14 November 2012

God, Dinosaurs and Kangaroos

It's safe to say that it was Charles Darwin's book, The Origin of Species, that started off the creationism vs evolution debate, a debate that continues today and will probably keep continuing, because let's be honest we're never really going to know the answers. 

So, why am I writing this, partly because I don't really know what I believe. I know staple facts. (And yes, I'd say that God created the world is a staple fact - at least to me) but the ins and outs of this creation, I don't know. I'm not totally against either idea, and I think they can both co-exist. 

I started to think about this whole issue yesterday after reading a slightly out of date news article on the Dawkins v Williams debate (click here to read it) and then later on (whilst procrastinating on facebook I found this graph, I have no idea if it's legit, but it got me thinking about what I believe and why.

Copied directly from: www.gallup.com/poll/155003/Hold-Creationist-View-Human-Origins.aspx

From these two bits of information, it got me thinking, that many people believe that theory of creationism, the theory of the big bang and then evolution aren't opposite theories, but one (the big bang theory then evolution) is just an explanation about how God created the world. And mean, God just states an order about how he created the world, which the evolution theory follows.

Many people have a problem with Dinosaurs not being mentioned in the bible, I don't, because lets be honest Kangaroos aren't mentioned either and I've seen and stroked one and I know for a fact they are real. As are bacteria, and yet again they aren't mentioned. So, I wondering, if God didn't mention them, does this argument really matter? I mean, I believe God created this world - it's too amazing not to have been created - but do I really need to know the ins and outs of how he created it? Probably not, I just need to admire his immense power and imagination in creating such an amazing world. Because, realistically, I'm never going to understand how he formed the world even if he sat me down and talked me through it. It's only ever going to blow my mind. 

So, what do YOU think?

No comments:

Post a Comment